Friday, November 13, 2009

Windows Vista shows Defender Errors? Microsoft says reinstall operating system - what?!

Defender is without a doubt the worst piece of software ever written and imposed on users. It never detects or help remove real malware. Only real anti-viruses and adAware do the job properly. Still it was included in Vista as part of the OS and lucky me: It started messing up on windows startup at my work machine.

After my company's IT guy basically gave up - I eventually found this Microsoft support page:

Error message when you try to start Windows Defender on a computer that you recently upgraded to Windows Vista: "Application failed to initialize"

Well - I didn't recently upgrade. But I suspect some anti-virus the IT guys imposed on this machine caused some mess-ed registry and defender just goes belly up after I log-on. It would be great if one could just un-install it and never see it again.

But - no, Microsoft says reinstall Windows.

So let me get this straight, an unnecessary piece of software in the OS cannot be removed, bugs you with messages - and instead of allowing us to remove it all together the suggestion is to waste several hours, if not days in computer down time and potential lost data?

WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment